Sunday, April 4, 2010

Problem Solving Set #2


For this set of questions I will pick number 16 to show. I like this question because, you can use math or just common sense ! Here's the question.

16. On a rectangular table 5 units long and 2 units wide, a ball is rolled from point P at an angle of 45 degrees to PQ and bounces of SR. The ball continues to bounce of the sides at 45 degree angles until it reaches S. How many bounces of the ball are required?

The first thing I did was read the question a few times to make sure I knew what I was supposed to be looking for. Then I looked at the rectangle given and tried to figure out where to start. Then when you realized that each bounce is 45 degrees and it's starts at P I started drawing the path of which the ball would've taken. This is one answer.

Or you can mathematically deduct that each roll between the bounce off another wall will be 2 units, except for the end where there is not enough space. There is only enough room for 5 bounces, no more, no less.

So the answer = (D) 5

P.S. Everything in the picture that is black was given with the question. Everything in Red (or whatever that colour is) is what I drew to help figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment