Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Problem Solving Set #1


On February the 9th my class recieved a worksheet to finish for homework. Sadly I did not get 100%, but they say that you learn from your mistakes, so if you never make a mistake, you won't learn.


So, the question I will go over is #11. Twelve balloons are arranged in a circle as shown. Counting clockwise, every third balloon is popped. C is the first one popped. This continues around until two unpopped balloons remain. The last two remaining balloons are: (A) B, H (B) B, G (C) A, E (D) E, J (E) F, K


Starting at C, you cross out every third balloon clockwise. It should be in a pattern like this: C, F, I, L, D, H, A, G, B, K. Once you get to K, you should only have 2 balloons left: E and J!
This is the only way I know to solve this problem and it's really easy too! When I was solving it I wanted to play MASH!
So, I hope now you understand this question and it all makes sense to you !

No comments:

Post a Comment